We had a great time - a few beach days (with boogie boards), bike riding around Harbor Town and Sea Pines plantation, kayaking, shuffleboard, swimming in the pool, and lots of time hanging out with family, watching the Olympics, eating yummy food, and eating way too many cookies. It was so fun to see everyone, including Kyle Brinton, who we hadn't met yet. The kids had a great time playing with their cousins and did not want to leave and get back to reality. Neither did we.
Here are some of the highlights in pictures. I with I had taken more, but I didn't have my camera with me too often.
At the entrance to Coligny Beach there was a fun splashpad. The kids loved it before and after the beach. I loved it after the beach to wash off the sand.
At the beach. The first day Spencer borrowed a boogie board from some strangers at the beach. He LOVED it. We bought two for the rest of the trip. He could stay out there for hours (literally). He is such a fish. I'm glad to see him be such a strong and confident swimmer. Here he is in his swimming attire:
I guess I didn't get a picture of Spencer on the boogie boards, but here's Marshall on one. His huge smile tells you he's enjoying it.
And here's another couple little pictures of my bathing beauty. She was such a little trooper and seemed to have a good time, too. She preferred to stay on land and play in the sand. Here she is with Grandma Brinton and Ethan Beard.
One of the days we went to Sea Pines plantation and rented bikes. Peter pulled Hannah and Marshall in a trailer and Spencer and I had our own bikes. We actually got a bike for Marshall, too, but I don't think he ever even sat on it. He wanted to be pulled. Oh, well. We started on the lighthouse and saw a parasailer.
Then we decided 20 people trying to move around in a group on bikes wasn't going to work too well, so we split up by families. Our first stop was at the Baynard ruins. The Baynard family used to own a huge chunk of that part of Hilton Head island. You can now see the ruins of their plantation house and some of the foundations of the slave houses. It was really cool.
We then rode out to South Beach. It was a longer ride than we expected - probably about 30 minutes each way. But it was a beautiful ride. A large section of it was going on a path along people's back yards. Iit was nice to get off of the main road and get some nice shade. Spencer kept up with us so well - he was pretty fast and didn't complain at all. I was really proud of him and how well he did on his bike.
I think this is our only family picture from the trip, taken in front of South Beach. We didn't go swimming, we just went to look at it, then turned around and headed back so we could meet the rest of the group for lunch.
We went out for lunch in Harbor Town at the Crazy Crab. All 23 of us. It wasn't nearly as crazy as I was afraid it would be - mainly I think because we were all so hungry and happy to be focused on eating. The kids weren't all over the place. I had a cheeseburger - it was delicious. I think everyone liked what they ordered. Again, maybe we were just really hungry, but the food was very good. Thanks, Mom and Dad Brinton!
After lunch we rode our bikes to some stables where they had a petting zoo.
Check out the hair on the goat in the back. It was hilarious. It was almost like he was wearing a wig.
Spencer especially loved the donkeys.
Look at the teeth on this llama. Horrible!
The bike riding excursion was a lot of fun.
What an amazing trip! The goat hair is busting me up! :)
ReplyDelete